02 April 2008

"The personal is political" - Part I

I believe that women have been sexualized as a result of ideological stigmas which became embedded across the centuries through means of laws and social customs. Despite advances resulting from various feminist movements at different times, we continue to be defined by our bodies. In fact, the last time I spoke with someone - a female college student - about my politics, I was accused of being "negative," "extreme," "crazy," and "an eyesore."

However, no one has yet to directly challenge my choice not to wear bras. (In the previous instance, I initiated the discussion, which means it was an invitation.) I've walked around campuses, in supermarkets, banks, and other places without anyone saying anything. Ironically, when I decided to check my e-mail before going off to my Beginning Canoe class last semester, the library director at Hood College told me that wearing a swimsuit was unacceptable and would be grounds for involving Campus Safety.

I consider it interesting, therefore, that people have been silent about my bra-free decision. This doesn't mean that others agree with the action I chose, but that we have come far enough in our society that doing so isn't cause for outrage.

I choose not to wear a bra because I recognize that we (men and women) are sexual bodies; and that if men aren't required to add layers to their breasts - and regardless if we call them pecs, men have nipples which excite them as much as ours excites us - I don't see why I should have to. By acting on my choice, I'm essentially saying: I refuse the assumption that only women are sexual objects.

By the way, I'm completely comfortable bra-less. As I tried to explain to the girl, I think a lot of that has to do with having good posture. More on this issue later!

No comments: